Monday, February 28, 2011

Curlitude: A learning Process with the post series, "Black Women in History."

This is truly a journey.  I went into the process of creating this series, as just something to do in honor of Black History month, but has turned out to be far more than that. I am have learned, and am still learning so much about myself.

This  isn't really a spiritual part of my journey to learning about self, it is more of a creative career path learning experience.  I went into Lane College in 2006 with the major of Mass Communication, it was a fit cause I like to gab and I love people.  Over the next 3 years I would go through several life changes, which would cause me to acquire a lot of self doubt and lose my career focus.  Mass Communications with a focus in Public Relations and Secondary Education with a focus in English Education were two of my declared majors from my brief stint at Rochester College. Now out of school, jobless, and a stay at home mom, I have struggled to figure out what I wanted to do. Don't get me wrong being a stay at home mom is great, but I know that God desires more for me.

The first thing I learned about myself is that I love to write.  It's not new to me, heck I blog alot. Writing is an outlet, its got me through some rough patches.  I am no Toni Morrison, certainly not on the same page as Ann Petry, but I believe with more time spent in an academic institution and after reading a few more books, I have the potential to write my own history.

The second most important thing that I learned, will definitely help me with my blog posts in the future. Due to the high volume of research involved in writing about someone else s life and the fact that I have a one year old, it is near impossible for me to do a day to day blog post of this magnitude.  The idea to highlight all these women was great, but my execution was horrible. 

Most importantly I learned that reading is truly fundamental. I have so many books that I want to read after researching these women. Books that my grandmother read, Ann Petry wrote, and Rita Dove found inspiration.  I like reading, but when it is done for academic purposes I am ill inspired and drag butt through the whole assignment.  When your imagination is allowed to run wild through the pages of a novel and wisp through the world of poetry, new words and phrases are easily found.  In the future I will definitely set goals that I can actually accomplish.

Oh and I will be adding to the Black Women in History throughout March, maybe not everyday, that's a bit to much.

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks

No comments:

Post a Comment