Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Drive Thru mentality

So I haven't blogged in over a month, which is for numerous reasons. It's not like I don't have anything to talk about, my life  is kind of ordinary, though being a stay at home mother of two adds some spice from time to time, but I haven't felt like putting my hands on the keyboard or pen to paper.  To be honest I have been in sort of a depressed dormant state, which is my fault since I haven't picked up my bible in God know's how long and my prayer life could use a bit of a pick me up.   I'm only human, don't judge.  To be honest I over the past month I have been living, but not existing with God fully in my life.  I was seeking to do just enough, not fully doing what God has designed me to do as a mother, wife, daughter, and the multitude of other title I hold as a woman.

It's not that I don't pray, but I've been having a lot of quickies.  You know, those prayers that you try to get in just in the nick of time. "Lord bless my child, don't let any harm come to here," right after Elises' number came across the screen at church, only to find out that some other child tried to choke her. Or how about "protection Jesus," after finding out my husband nearly got in an accident due to another drivers foolishness.  I'm  not saying that these five second quickies are no good, but I do not believe that anyone including myself should have a drive by prayer life.

Christianity isn't like the fastfood lifestyle that us grotesque Americans frequent often.  It is not somethings that provides us just enough to get us by until we can make it the next meal, often null and void of any nutritional value, deep fried covered in grease, unhealthy to say the least.  Don't get me wrong I love Mickey D's and Burger King from time to time, but they are not everyday foods, nor staples.

My husband and I were having a conversation a couple of weeks ago about our "American way of life," is so backwards now.  As we sat reminiscing over the similarities and differences to our childhood, we realize how backwards we have become.  Back in the day (Yes, I do know it's not that long. I'm only 23.) McDonald's, Rally's, Burger King, Wendy's est. were treats, something that you begged for often, but only got every once in a while.  What was a once in a while treat for my husband and I, sometimes becomes a staple for my daughter Elise.  I hate to say it, but sometimes we can go a whole day without Elise having a home cooked meal.  It is sad, but it is truth.

As I seek to reclaim my family at the dinner table, we have a home cooked meal from scratch at least three times  a week, I realize that it is time for me to reclaim many other parts of my spiritual life which have become accustomed to a fast-food way of life.    As mom's it is my duty to be "keeper of my home," which God instructs in Titus 2:5. To be honest I never even looked at this scripture until it was referenced by one of my favorite bloggers Rhonda J. Smith in a article she wrote for EEW Magazine, Guard Their Ears and Eyes, Why you, the Parent, must be a Gatekeeper.  I haven't been doing my job well at all.  Not only have I not fully guarded my children, but I have lacked to cover them in prayer often.  In this article Rhonda J. Smith gives three key things that can help you, me, and other moms out there be effective "Gatekeepers." She says,

"For us to be effective guards of our homes, we must:Know the Word—The word of God tells us how to live. We have to know God’s standard so we
set God’s standard in our homes. “For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or
what fellowship can light have with darkness?” (2 Corinthians 6:14). Answering these questions is a
good place to start making a distinction between righteous and unrighteous influences.
Practice the Word—Fasting and prayer are essential so we gain spiritual insight to help us
navigate what we see and don’t see. There is always a war going on in the spiritual realm that we
cannot see, but God sees and directs our steps (2 Kings 6:15-17; Ephesians 6:12 and Proverbs 16:
9). This even includes God showing us how our children’s eyes and ears may have been violated
outside our home. God will reveal to us what we need to know so we can guard our gates
appropriately to defeat the enemy and protect our children.
Select suitable substitutes—We may not have set biblical standards from the beginning but we
can choose biblical substitutes now. Check out Christian bookstores and websites for appropriate
music and movies. If you don’t know what artists to choose, check out
EEW’s 10 Men Leading the Way issue and DaSouth.com
for insight. Also, make sure you interact with families who have
biblical standards for their children and expose your children to groups and activities that support
your standards.

We only have one chance to raise our children. God has entrusted us as stewards of these precious
gifts and we must give an account for how we raised them (Luke 16:1-2, Romans 14:12, Hebrews 13:
17). This is our job. No school of choice or life of chance can do what only we were meant to do.
We are gatekeepers, called by God to guard our homes to keep them safe from unlawful intrusions,
abusers surely to rape our children of godly behavior (1 Corinthians 15:33). We can do this if we
seek to put the Kingdom first."

~Rhonda J. Smith, EEW Magazine, "Guarding Their Ears and Eyes:Why you, the Parent, Must be a gatekeeper."

This article helped to kick start the revolution that has been going on in my home.  Some days I am a better keeper than others, but I a rest knowing that I am a work in progress, and God is done with me yet.  Okay maybe I'm little ordinary, but I was created to do extraordinary things.

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman
A maturing woman on a journey of rediscovery and recovery, I AM Curly Locks

1 comment:

  1. Najeema,

    This is a heartfelt piece that shows all human fraility through your vulnerability. Thank you for sharing and knowing that God is still available to you. I'm so glad that the words God had me share in my article were helpful to you. Thanks for sharing them with your audience.

    ReplyDelete