Monday, January 28, 2013

I have to write this for my daughters, on the brink of lunacy. The racism that my daughters will face due to enslaved minds is unavoidable, inevitable, unchangeable....I pray that my daughters will one day blossom and overcome the identity issues that have followed me a lifetime. You see I'm not midnight black, not quite peanut butter, and I'm not red-bone.  I'm not light enough house n@$%#, yet get the side eye often.  Will we ever be free "Girl I betchu' glad you got a white man." I find myself explaining my choice in love as, "My husband grew up in the hood, he more hood than me." But why? Why do I try to explain love? Am I not free? Will my daughter be free?  Will we as a people be free. I know there is a delicate balance that I will face one day instilling self worth, confidence, and strength into my daughter, yet not offending the brown spectrum.  How will they embrace them? What wounds will come? And how will they heal?

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks (A mother concerned with the inevitable)

Note:  Had to rant a bit as my frustrations have been fermenting lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment