Saturday, February 16, 2013

Black Women in History: Girls Group Favorites, SWV

Keeping it short and sweet again, SWV is another highly underrated Girls Group of the 90s.



I can't remember the first time I heard SWV on the radio. I was probably only six or seven, but Sisters with Voices(SWV) a former gospel group, had major play time on the airways in Detroit.  SWV was composed of Cheryl Gamble, Tamara Johnson, and Leanne Lyons whose debut album was certified triple platinum. Their hits include one of my all time favorites "Weak." Though like many other girl groups they never won a Grammy, but their accolades include one Kids Choice Awards and eight Billboard Music Awards. It looks likes SWV have survived and maybe on there way to a comeback. In 2011 they signed a record deal, and in 2012 released their fourth studio album, I Missed Us, on iTunes. So stay tuned, I am sure that we will be hearing more hits from these ladies real soon.

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks

No comments:

Post a Comment