Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Curlitude: You gotta' do somethin'


When I first started going natural, after the big chop,  I didn’t do anything to my hair. Of course I washed it, used olive oil on my scalp, and occasionally twisted it, but  that  was  it.   I didn’t really moisturize it, and used whatever products I had lying around to do it, definitely not the way to go.  If you want dry, brittle, tangled hair then this is your regimen, but if you seek growth then you might want to try something a little different. 

Often my relationship with God has felt the exact same way; mangled, matted, and dry.  Occasionally I went to church, days I have went without touching my bible, and nights I have laid my head to rest not thanking God for the blessing of another day.   Like my hair it is not that I didn’t care, or didn’t have the knowhow, I just didn’t put in the work.  Any relationship, hair or otherwise takes time, commitment, and communication.  I am not telling you to go around having ‘convos’ with your hair, but you do need to communicate with God through prayer, praise, worship, and most importantly your time.  

I’ve learned so much about my hair, by taking time to learn about it, read about it, and do something with it every day.   I am committed to understanding my hair, but I am even more committed to gaining a stronger connection to God through giving Him my time.  It takes time for growth.    It’s not easy being patient, but you must if you want to see the reward.  My hair rewards are simple, frizz free curls without split ends, it may not always be this way, a day or two may go by without me detangling; but God’s rewards will stay with me a life time as long as I put in the work and do something.
  
Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks
“I believe in Kingdom blogging!”

2 comments:

  1. Nice juxtaposition of hair life and spiritual life. Great insights. Thanks and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so therapeutic and helps me stay on track...

    Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks
    "I believe in Kingdom blogging!"

    ReplyDelete