Sunday, February 3, 2013

Black Women in History: Great Women

 I have been struggling trying to figure out what to write for this post series for about a month now.  There are so many great Black Women in History who have made outstanding contributions, how can I limit myself to twenty-eight.  History is being made daily through Gabrielle Douglas, Quvenzhane Wallis, Michelle Obama, and countless others.  I guess the best thing for me to do is to tell it like it is and speak from the heart.

It's something about the month of February.  I don't know if it's because it is "Black History Month," , or the fact that this is the month that my grandmother was born in and died in.  Whatever the case may be, it will always be special to me.  I cry a little, wear my fro a little prouder, reminisce on the good times, re-visit history lessons on the Freedom Riders and The Black Panther Party, and fall in love with my race all over again. February is my pick me up month, my you can do anything month, my the sky is the limit month, my you are awesome month, my freedom month, but I digress.

From Euroweb.com
This weekend I eagerly awaited  the premier of the Lifetime movie Betty and Coretta.  It was good, but I have to agree with the critics it fell quite short of the mark. These women, these strong women, these survivors, these mothers, these sisters, these women of faith, these women of wisdom could not be captured in less than two hours.  Though I am glad to see women of color getting screen time, it was a little disappointing not to see more introspection in to their lives.  A lot was said, but only a little was shown about their multitude of contributions to the African American community in the form of civil rights and education.  I am no expert, but I know that there has to be more, and it rubs me the wrong way that the families were not consulted until after production had started.Though families may have a bias views about their family members, they provide an insight that outsiders just don't have. 

I am ashamed to say that I don't know much about Coretta Scott King or Betty Shabazz, but I  am willing to learn.will. Behind every great man is an even greater woman, may the legacies of these women and the sacrifices they made be inspiration my generation.

 Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman (I AM Curly Locks, history in the making)

No comments:

Post a Comment