Monday, March 7, 2011

Curlitude: How Often Should You Wash Your Hair?

I have been asked this question a lot recently. Take a look at this article that was posted today on Naturally Curly.com.

Curlies: How Often Should You Wash Your Hair?

How Often do I wash my hair?
Personally I co-wash (conditioner wash) my hair about twice a week, and shampoo my hair about twice a month.


What products do I use to wash my hair?
I am slowly becoming a natural hair product junky. For the past couple of months I have been using Organic Root Stimulator's Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo  and Organic Root Stimulator's Replenishing Conditioner. The shampoo does contain sulfates, which I don't mind, but if you are looking for sulfate free check your local Target or Meijer, they have lots of options.  I found that these products, especially the Replenishing Conditioner, leave my hair moist with a light coating, manageable, and tangle free. Over the next couple  of weeks this will be changing. I just received my Carol's Daughter Best Tressed Hair Set, which contains Tui Shampoo and Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner. (Reviews coming soon)

My suggestions
In all my research on this topic, online and otherwise, I have found several common trends.
  1. Do whats right for your hair. I have two different textures of hair, both which require alot of moisture, so co-washing and leave in conditioners are a must for me. 
  2. Try out a couple of different washing schedules, shampoos, and conditioners to see what works best for your curls.
  3. Do as much research about your hairtype as possible. Watch youtube vid's from other curlies and product reviews.
  4. Find out whats in the products and what they can do to your hair.
None of this information is really new, you can find it on many natural hair website. Here are a few suggestions of where to go....


www.naturallycurly.com
www.thirstyroots.com
www.treasuredlocks.com

Hair isn't just about the way you look on the outside, it is about your God given confidence on the inside.  Love and nuture, your mind, body, and soul. Fall into the good book, The B-I-B-L-E, eat right and drink lots of water in order to get good balance.

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks
"I believe in Kingdom blogging!"

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so happy we found each other. I just recently cut off my "bra strap" length relaxed hair to go natural so I need all the help I can get. I am trying to get used to my new length and texture, I really need style options since I only have 3 inches of hair now. Thanks for the links and for befriending me on MBC, I will definitely be coming back real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed the post....I have been off and on curly for most of my life....I am definitely working on keeping my curls up better now and doing as much research as possible....

    ReplyDelete