Monday, August 8, 2011

To lock or not to lock?

I guess I would have to say I have been successful natural for about a year now, it kind of parralels the amount of time that I have been blogging.I have always loved the look of locks, so when I began to rock  my natural tresses it seemed like a no-brainer that I would eventually end up with locks. Over the past two weeks I have been going through the great debate of rather I should lock my hair or not.  I have sought advice from some of the best naturals I know, some with years of experience, others still in the trail phase.  All of the lovely ladies rocking locks had one thing in common, it was yet another journey in their life.  Their responses ranged  from just trying something new to loving the convenience/

I don't think that this particular journey is over yet.  I can't climb another mountain until I have come to the top of the one my feet are planted on.  I love my  hair, every kink, every coil, every nap, but I don't believe that I have fully embraced it all yet.  Most of the time I rock it in twist or a fro, but I haven't really gotten the opportunity to enjoy my hair through experimenting with different styles. So, what am I gonna do, you ask.   I am going to wait about 2 more years to make the decision to lock my hair. Currently I am way to indecisive about taking the plunge, and at this point if I get locks I may completely regret it and end the journey before it could ever begin.

Sometimes you have to stop yourself before moving ahead of schedule.  Locks may be for me, but now is not the time.  I thought about it for a long time, and once again my hair, and the decision to lock or not to lock reminded me of my relationship with Christ.  Sometimes we want something so bad, that we make it happen, we try to move ahead of God's schedule and it ultimately can in to our own misfortune.  This relates to so many situations in life, career, family, life goals, est.  As we journey through life it is important to realize that our plan means nothing, but God's plan is everything.  He says in Jeremiah 29:11,

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you, and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

He clearly states his desire for our lives and it is our obligation to trust Him. We may not always understand why, or know when things are going to happen but that is why we are called to have faith and know that He alone is God.

For now I have chosen to for go locks, but just like my life only God knows what the future holds.

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks

No comments:

Post a Comment