Monday, January 21, 2013

Black Women in History 2013

One thing that my family has taught me over the years, is the importance of knowing your history.  The truth is that you never know where you are going, until you know where you've been.

This year I am reviving one of my most popular post series, Black Women In History, from 2011.   I never accomplished my goal of a post day for Black History month, so I a picking back up the torch.  The majority of the series will include influential African American Women in the field of fine art, design, photography, and media, however I will also be including First Lady Michelle Obama, Olympic Gold Medalist/History maker Gabrielle Douglas, and a revised post on Dr. Barbara Ross Lee.

There are so many unsung heroins in the African American Community.  As an African American people, myself included, we quickly forget how far we have come. From sit-in's, bus boycotts, Jim Crow, Lynchings we rose.  We have not yet arrived as there is still hatred in the world, and some people will always see us as inferior, but out of depths we shall rise again to the glory of the Harlem Renaissance movement.  We must embrace our history and share it with the world. I hope to make a small contribution in passing down our history. Join me for the entire month of February as  rediscover those before me.

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks

No comments:

Post a Comment