Sunday, February 17, 2013

Three books, three earrings, one thrifty family weekend

I woke up this morning with every intention of going to church. However, I guess since I actually got up an hour later than planned and we suffered a toddler meltdown that ended in a time out session, the universe had other plans. The lesson for today, I assume, is to go with the flow. Thing happen; no matter how much we plan sometimes, it doesn't always work out the way we intend. The fact is my house looks like a disaster zone, laundry has piled up and I think its coming after me; my husband and I need some one-on-one face time, and daddies' little girls want to play. I didn't make it to church today, but I am ministering to my family. It's the little things like making crescent dogs with your toddler, playing Scrabble, and vegging out on the couch watching a marathon of your favorite show with your spouse that matters most.

This weekend was fairly relaxing, especially since my husband finally got a few days off. We didn't accomplish everything that we wanted, but we had good quality family time and even caught up with a family friend. We ran a few errands, did a little thrifting, and picked up a few groceries for the week. Definitely in love with the spring trends as you may see from my numerous polyvore pins over the past couple of days, so I scooped up the earring pictured on the right.
I practiced what I preached and bought three books from the local libraries book store, Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan, Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and the five people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom.

My preference is usually African American authors such as Toni Morrison, Anne Petry, and Gloria Naylor, but I figured I would broaden my horizons this time around. These three books will help me play catch up, as I am three books behind on my goal of reading two books a month. This may not seem like a daunting task to many of you, but for a stay-at-home mother of two who barely finds time to fit in a shower, this is the challenge of a lifetime. Somewhere between diaper changes, physical therapy for the littlest in our clan, timeouts, and dishes, I hope to enjoy a few good books. How has your weekend been, what are you reading?

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks

No comments:

Post a Comment