Monday, April 4, 2011

Book Review: What's SPECIAL About Me, Mama? by Kristina Evans

What's Special About Me, Mama?My one year old and I went on our first library adventure last week.  I didn't really know what to expect since she is one, but I was pleasantly surprised to see hand toys, a puppet station, puzzles, and so much more.  The library is definitely a place that we will frequent.

Even though our local library is pretty small, they did have a decent collection of books, something for the teens, tweens, toddlers, and everything in-between.  When picking a good book for my toddler I look for diversity, color, imagination, education and a good storyline.  Not all books that I buy for her possess all these qualities, but they sure come close.  Our family is mixed our shades range from the deepest darkest chocolaty silky smooth brown to pale yellow and peaches, we are blending, so I love books with color blends.

I was so happy to find, "What's Special About Me Mama?" by Kristina Evans.   This book was recently published by Disney February 22, 2011. It doesn't have a  lot of words, but it has the right words as a young boy asks his mother what makes him special.  He learns from his mother that everything about him is special, from the inside out. His hugs, his kisses, his lips, his cheeks, they all make him wonderfully unique. 

Of course there are plenty of books on diversity, but I like the fact that two people within the same family, yet with different skin complexions show love for one another.  I will definitely be buying this book in the future for my household, and it is a good buy for children of all colors and creeds. 

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks

No comments:

Post a Comment