Friday, April 27, 2012

I BIG CHOPPED

About two weeks prior to the chop
So I finally did it....I big chopped. I cut off all of my hair, again.  Though I am not completely bald, I came pretty close.   A few weeks ago I played kitchen bathroom beautician, grabbed a pair of scissors and cut my hair off.  I can not lie it was a little bittersweet.  I had been growing it out for roughly three years, with a few trims here and there.  It was with me through my brief stint as an Resident Advisor/Student body President, when I walked down the aisle, the birth of my two children, and so much more.  My strands and I were bussom buddies, but our relationship was getting a little twisted and the newness of being a natural was dulling, literally.  I was losing hair faster than I was growing it.

The truth is for over a month I had been rockin' scarves because the back of my hair was shedding like crazy, and any good comic could easily refer to the back of my head as 'patches'.  Like many naturals my hair requires a lot of moisture. Do to my rigorous schedule caring for my two tots', loving husband, attempting to dip into the blogging pool, and trying to maintain my household in general, my hair often gets neglected.  It is not that I don't care for my curls, or don't know what products to use, but I don't always have the time.

Day Before my BC
As an inexperienced pair, my husband and I actually did a fairly good job cutting my hair.  My tool of choice scissors. My husbands choice clippers.  Of course I went to the barber shop and got it lined up, which wasn't a half bad experience.  I imagined men groping their loins, spiting, talking about butts and boobs, and just being all around rude.  But my experience was far from that.  The barber "D" was pretty friendly and was actually from my hometown, and I even meet a little girl sweeping up hair to make some pocket change, which instantly reminded me of my shop apprentince days.  Okay well I didn't have an official title, but I did everything from shampooing heads to collecting booth rent, when I worked at my aunts Salon years ago.  Those years definitely solidified me as an official kitchen dietician.

Another factor that I believe contributed to my hair lose is the birth of my two children.  I don't know the technical terminology for the amount of hair that you loose after having a baby. But I do know that when most women, like myself are pregnant they loose less hair due to certain hormones, and after baby its all over.  Castor Oil and Vitamin E capsules are about to become my best friends.

The choice to cut off my hair wasn't a spur of the moment thing, I had been debating it for months. This is definitely a new adventure, as I can no longer hide behind my curls.   All of me is on full display.  The Big Chop(BC) has definitely made me more adventurous as far as my clothing options are concerned, and my creative juices are flowing on the regular.  I'm lovin' my Teeny Weeny Afro(TWA) can't wait to see what we do next. 
Day after my BC

Peace, Love, and Freedom
Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks

No comments:

Post a Comment