Friday, September 28, 2012

Kitchen: Seasoning I can't live without

Salt and Pepper are found in most kitchens, but there are several seasonings that I can't live without.  I'm no Rachel or Julia, but I learned a few things from Miss Marie and my mom.  I guess you can call me the "Short Cut Chef," because while I love making things from scratch, I often don't have time to create custom seasoning blends or sauces. Many of the items in my spice cabinet(a rack just isn't big enough) consist of tried and true seasoning brands that my grandma used from time to time. 

Lawry's Seasoned Salt 

Photo from Lawrys.com
Not all blends or brands of seasoning salt are created equally, I discriminate.  It is great on Chicken, Lamb, Beef, Potatoes, and just about anything you can fry, bake, or grill.  Lawry's has a full line of products that include  sauces, spice blends, meat tenderizers, meal makers, and marinades but the original blend will always be my favorite.

Garlic
Photo From Onlinehealtips.com

 Rather fresh, refrigerated, or ground I put garlic in just about everything. Definitely too pungent to include in dessert recipes, but it is the perfect addition to any recipe. 

Onion
Photo from finecooking.com
I realize that their are tons of different types of onion, but I do not have have preference.  I typically prefer onion powder because I want the flavor of onion without chunks of onion in it (what can I say, I'm a little bit of a picky eater) but lately I have been blending onions almost to a pulp and adding them to recipes which has given me a lot more flavor.  You can always find this in my pantry in some form.

Italian Seasoning

Photo from Amazon.com
Of course you can make your own Italian Seasoning blend, which will probably be more economical, but I like to keep it simple.  Canned or jarred tomato sauce is good in rush but it never has enough flavor for me not matter what brand it is.  McCormick is typically my favorite. I'm often a creature of habit and have not tried many other varieties.

Old Bay Seasoning
Photo from Oldbay.com
 Like Lawry's Seasoned Salt, Old Bay Seasoning is a tradition in my family and is used for most southern classics including  fried chicken, fish and shrimp. This product is high in sodium, but their is new lower sodium option.  I typically use the original Old Bay Seasoning Blend but they also have several other varieties of rubs, seasoning blends, sauces, and mixes.

McCormick Salad Supreme

Photo from McCormick.com
McCormick's Salad Supreme is a new staple for me. I never realized it was the secret to many of Miss Marie's summer salads, that gives you the extra kick of flavor you mouth is looking for. It is good for both Pasta., Vegetable and Tossed Salads.

Hope this helps all my "Short Cut Chefs," out there.  What are some of your favorite seasonings?

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks

No comments:

Post a Comment