Saturday, November 17, 2012

Journey Through Grief: Just one of them days

It always happens around the holidays, it hits me like a ton of breaks.  I realize that I won't see her anymore or taste her fudge the ways she made it.

I'm a baker and a fairly decent cook.  I never realized that this is something that I share with my deceased grandmother.  She was definitely one of the top chefs in my family and Holidays were always her time to shine.  Between her Fruit Cake Hater's Fruitcake, Homemade Cheesecake, Fudge, Lemon-drop cookies, and Pecan Sandies, there was something for everybody. Not to mention her savory dressing, cranberry relish, turkey, greens, and macaroni n' cheese, they all "make you wanna slap ya momma."

I hope to one day carry on her tradition of being a great hostess.  Our family hasn't been the same since she died, tradition seems to fading.  She was a big presence in our family.  'Nette' as she was affectionately known, loved all but sure knew how to push your buttons every now and then.  We had our good times and our bad times, mostly because we acted a lot alike.  She was my hanging buddy, even when I pushed her away.  She will always be in my heart and as I use her cast iron skillet, to make delicious meals for my family I know she is with me.  Marie Antionette Thomas gone but not forgotten.  I will always love you Mah-mah.

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks(Healing one dish at a time)

No comments:

Post a Comment